Wondering how you can make a difference?
Help the Tapiche Reserve directly:
Other ways of helping Tapiche and all the world's forests:
- Research what you buy, know where your money goes--if you have Ikea furniture, it's very possible that you have a piece of the Tapiche basin in your house. The rainforest is much closer to you than you realize!
- Reuse, recycle, upcycle, consider buying used furniture rather than new or try to support local craftspeople so you know where your product is coming from and where your money is going
- Be aware of how the trafficking and trade of exotic animals shows up not only during your travels as animal attractions and souvenirs but also in your daily life. Recognize that jungle animals are not meant to be domestic pets.
- Teach children about kindness and respect for nature and the importance of giving animals their space rather than provoking them for a reaction. Be a positive role model even when you see local animals like squirrels, raccoons and birds in your area.
Tapiche Wish List:
- Ways to employ more people and keep more of the surrounding villages busy. Ultimately introduce more eco-sustainable industries into the region to take focus away from logging and poaching. Contact Us if you're serious about partnering with us.
- A system to monitor remotely when people enter our lagoons or forests to poach or log, using solar energy and without cellular network or internet, with rugged equipment that can withstand rainforest conditions. The same system could be applied for research and observation of different animal species and natural phenomena.
Banner photo: Red howler monkey (Alouatta seniculus) viewed from our Canopy Observation Tower
© 2016 Deborah Chen